Maxwell Suzuki (he/him) is a queer writer who lives in Los Angeles. He is working on a novel about Japanese Americans, their generational trauma, and what it means to exist within conflict. Maxwell's fiction chapbook, 'Voyager 2, This is Voyager 1, Over', will be published by Gold Line Press in Winter 2023. Maxwell's poetry chapbook, 'Bust of an Athlete', will be published by Iron Horse Literary Review in Winter 2023. His work has appeared or is forthcoming in Craft Literary, Lunch Ticket, The Normal School, ANMLY, South Dakota Review, and elsewhere.
- Fiction Reader for Guernica
- Prose Editor for Passengers Journal
- Associate Fiction Editor for jmww Journal
- Nonfiction/Hybrid Reader for Split/Lip Press
- 2021-2023 Poetry/Prose Reader and Media Director for The Sepia Journal
- 2021 Summer Intern for COUNTERCLOCK
Recognition and Nominations
- 2023 Tin House Winter Residency Finalist
- 2023 Iron Horse Literary Review Poetry Chapbook Winner for 'Bust of an Athlete'
- 2022 Diana Woods Memorial Award Finalist for 'NATIONAL GUN OWNERS SURVEY or WHAT IT MEANS TO KNOW THE BODY ISN’T A TARGET'
- 2022 Gold Line Press Fiction Chapbook Winner for 'Voyager 2, This is Voyager 1, Over'
- 2022 Best of the Net Nominee in Fiction for 'What Did I Mention to Ya?'
- 2022 Pushcart Prize Nominee in Poetry for 'Wrestling'
- 2021 Pushcart Prize Nominee in Creative Non-Fiction for 'My Daily Skin Care Routine'
- 2021 Pushcart Prize Nominee in Poetry for 'Manzanar, June 2nd, 1962'
- 2021 Pushcart Prize Nominee in Poetry for 'Obasan'
- 2015 Poetry Out Loud Regional Semifinalist
- 2014 Woosh Kinaadeiyí Grand Slam Runner Up